Finance, Administration & Planning
This department provides support services to the attainment of the Commissions goals and objectives. These include planning, financial management and accounting, human resource management, records management, procurement services, logistics and fleet management and general administration.
The planning unit in particular performs the following responsibilities:
- Plan and coordinate all planning and budgeting function of the Commission
- Preparation and review of a comprehensive five year strategic plan
- Preparation of Annual and Mid-term plans in line with the approved five year strategic plan, Policies, Programs and projects.
- Compile and consolidate quarterly and annual progress reports and submit to the management team and the Commission for further action
- Keeping abreast with government business and priorities.
- Setting up regional offices
- Maintenance and repairs of vehicles and machinery
- Staff recruitment
- Develop human resource manual and human resource policy
- Capacity building and needs assessment reports
Legal Services & Investigations
The department of Legal Services and Investigations (LS&I) is charged with receiving, assessment and investigation of complaints, preparing complaints for tribunal hearings, conducting pre-tribunal sessions, conducting ADR sessions, that is, Arbitration, Reconciliation, & Mediation, monitoring Government of Uganda compliance with International and Regional Obligations with equal opportunities and making recommendations on issues to promote equal opportunities, provision of legal advice to the Commission and conducting legal and human rights research.
Functions and Duties of the Department
The roles of Legal Services & Investigation department are derived from the functions of the Commission under section 14(1) and (2(a), (b), (g), (h) and (3) & (4) of the Equal Opportunities Commission Act 2007. Broadly the department is charged with;
- Receipt and registration of complaints concerning violation of equal opportunities.
- Assessment of complaints for admissibility and viability of evidence, including writing relevant correspondences to the complainants and respondents
- Initiating and spearheading investigations into equal opportunities violations
- Advising the commission on legal complaints and appeals.
- Advising the commission on legal issues pertaining to its operation as an institution.
- Organizing Tribunal Sessions.
- Organizing /facilitating Alternative Dispute Resolution sessions.
- Giving legal advice to the public concerning equal opportunities.
- Mobilizing legal aid services and establishing mechanisms for their accessibility by vulnerable groups through referrals
- Defending the Commission in liaison with the office of the AG against any suit.
- Assessment of Laws, Bills and policies to ascertain their compliance with equal opportunities in accordance with international instruments to which Uganda is a State Party.
Education, Training, Information and Communication
The Department of Education and Communications (E&C), is among the five established departments of the EOC. It is composed of two inter-related units; that is, Education on the one hand and Communications on the other; and is charged with delivering, sensitization and training workshops on equal opportunities, affirmative action and inclusive development, conducting public dialogues, carrying out visibility and awareness campaigns on the Commission and its mandate.
This department is mandated to carry out the following activities:
- Develop the communications strategy.
- Develop and propagate information ,education and communication national wide for awareness purposes
- Review customs and traditions issues that undermine equal opportunities
- Hold community and public dialogues pertaining to equal opportunities
- Establish information and educational progammes to facilitate and promote public awareness on understanding of equal opportunities.
- Carry out media campaigns through radio and television talk shows and mainstream media
- Designing and implementing training programmes
- Handling the Commission’s external and internal communication and dissemination of information.
Research, Monitoring and Evaluation
Currently, the R M&E Department is comprised of two functions/units; the research unit and; the monitoring and evaluation unit. These functions are specialized in their operations but linked to one another. The research arm provides overall leadership in socio-economic research on matters of equal opportunities as well as backstopping support to other departments/Units, while the monitoring and evaluation unit provides leadership in internal and external monitoring and evaluation of policies, laws, plans, programs, activities and practices, among others.
Functions and Duties of the Department
The function and duties of the department are derived from section 14(1) and (2(d), (e), (f), (g) and (h) of the Equal Opportunities Commission Act 2007. Broadly the department is charged with;
- Monitoring and evaluating policies, laws, plans, programs, activities, practices, traditions, cultures, usages and customs of (a) organs of state at all levels; (b) statuary bodies and agencies; (c) public bodies and authorities;(d) private businesses and enterprises; (e) non-governmental organization, and (f) social and culture communities for their compliance with equal opportunities and affirmative action and strengthening enforcement of equal opportunities concern at all levels.
- Carrying out research on the Commissions mandate, organizing, coordinating and promoting workshops seminars, conferences and public discussion on equal opportunities and treatment in employment, education, social services or social culture construct of roles and responsibilities in society.
- Developing, publishing and maintaining standards and guidelines for monitoring, reviewing and evaluating of equal opportunities policies, activities and programs.
- Developing, publishing and maintaining standards and guidelines for research on equal opportunities issues.
- Developing and implementing control and reporting systems on the implementation of equal opportunities policies.
- Establishing and maintaining liaison with other organisations promoting equal opportunities through research monitoring and evaluation.
- Development and preparation of Annual Reports on the State Of Equal Opportunities in Uganda.